Follow North Beach Treasures on Twitter!

Follow NBTseaglass on Twitter

Monday, March 04, 2013

Storms aren't always a good thing...

I went beach combing, yesterday.

We've been having some pretty stormy weather during the past few days, so I was feeling very hopeful that it was going to be a good day on the beach. Storms bring big waves, and big waves tend to "turn over" the sand, pebbles and rocks, bringing new material to the surface.

Sadly, it was not such a good day-- which just just illustrates what I wrote a few weeks ago "You never know what you're going to get," when it comes to beach combing.

Evidently, quite a few other people had the same idea as I, about the winds potentially making for a good day. I normally walk the 3.5 miles to my favorite spot in quiet contemplation-- it's my meditation. On this day, I was shaken out of my reverie several times as groups of "very determined looking" people with bags and buckets almost seemed to "fly" by me.

It made me feel some... unrest.

Truth be known, I really don't mind sharing the beach with other enthusiasts. What I mind is a certain kind of "energy" that goes with people who clearly have an "intensely important mission" on the beach... and seem to turn the gentle pastime of  beach combing into something that resembles a "competitive sport." To me, that defeats the entire purpose... and somehow takes away from the quiet beauty I enjoy so much. Sure, I can honor that we all have different objectives... but I just find the demeanor and mindset a little "disturbing."

In spite of the above, I still completed my usual walk and even though my pockets were pretty empty of treasures, I did "pick up" some good for topics I want to write about, in the coming weeks.

No comments: